Wednesday, 22 April 2020

Participation is expected to be substantive

Participation is expected to be substantive. In other words, posting comments like “I agree,” “That’s great. I wish I would have thought of that,” or “What do you mean?” are not substantive.
A substantive posting is defined as participation that is rich, deep and probing. It sometimes piggybacks on someone else’s comment, challenging or adding more. Sometimes it is a new idea or question. Substantive input adds depth to a discussion and carries its own weight. It demonstrates that the student is using critical thinking skills and values the advancement of knowledge for self and others.
A checklist for substantive postings includes these questions:
• Does the response add a new insight to ideas already offered?
• Does it challenge previous ideas and add appropriate counter-thought?
• Does it give a sense of the “ah-ha,” and encourage deeper thought?
• Does it take enough time to “wallow” in an idea and ask probing questions?
• Does it demonstrate that you have done appropriate reading on the topic?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.